Wednesday, November 27, 2013

My Journey to PMP certification

All the working profession who know about Project Management knows about PMI i.e. Project Management Institute. PMI offers many certifications including PMP (Project Management Professional) certification for the working professional in the project management area. Every project manger wants to enhance their skill and knowledge and no doubt their credentials as well by obtaining a PMP Certification.

On 26th Nov 2013, I sit for my PMP exam after a preparation of 3 months and I clear the exam with the score of 2P (Planning and Monitor & Control), 2MP (Initiating and Executing) and 1BP (Project Closing). I am writing my lesson learn for the benefit of others PMP aspirant.

Getting a PMP Certificate is a systematic process. From eligibility criteria till filling the PMP exam form is a very step wise process. The entire process is explained here

First I started with reading Rita Mulcahy PMP Exam Prep book. Rita books are very well written specially the simplicity and examples with which the topics have been explained. While I was reading the book I develop a small game for myself to remember the 5 process groups, 10 Knowledge areas and 47 processes. I wrote all the Process areas, Knowledge areas and process on small cards. Every day I took these cards and arrange them as per Table 3-1 from PMBOK 5th edition.

Second after finishing Rita’s book I became member of PMI. Among the many advantages that comes with being a PMI member is PMI gives you a digital edition of PMBOK 5th edition. I read the PMPBOK twice.

Third and very important step is Practicing question for PMP exam. I would say Practice is very much part of the preparation towards PMP. But Practice should be done in right manners. For me I started with 10-15-20 question initially. I see what questions I got wrong and then go back to PMBOK and Rita and my personal notes to see why I miss out. Gradually you can increase to answer 40-50-75-100-200 questions.

After I was done with my first reading of PMBOK I scheduled my exam. It is important to do this as it mentally gives you a dead line to prepare yourself.

I would advise never use Ms-Excel or Desktop calculator to do math as Prometric centers provides you a calculator so either use calculator when you are practicing or use your brain.

Fourth I joined PMP groups which are available on various social media and believe me the kind of help you get there are truly awesome. Some of the best groups I came across are following:

I want to be a PMP® group at Linkedin.

pmpbest group at Yahoo groups

Top Rated Contents at pmzilla.com

The PMP Exam is neither easy nor it is tough. Your concept should be clear and you should answer the questions as per PMBOK and not as per what you have experienced in the real life.

Another advice I will give you is never compare your scores in the practice exams with respect to your preparation. Take the exams as your check point. You might have prepared well but you could not score in the practice exam as much as you wanted. I came across many people who scored 50% in some of the practice exams but they did score 70-80% in other practice exams and they pass the PMP with flying colors.

I prepared my own PMP sheet which list down all the inputs, Tools and Techniques and output from each process group. This was an easy reference point for me. Ideally you do not need to remember this but you should be aware of it.

One last thing is about Mathematical questions; they are not as hard as you might get during practice exams but you should know the concepts behind formulas. More than memorizing formulas the concept behind it will help you in the exam.

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics