Tuesday, October 25, 2011

How to Map your Google blog with your own Domain?

This post shows how to setup your domain with your Google Blogspot blog if you have bought the domain from www.net4.in

Recently I bought my domain www.singhvikash.in from net4.in. My blog at Google blogger site is www.singhvikash.blogspot.com. I wanted to map my domain with my blogspot site.

What it takes to map your own domain with Google blogspot?

In order to map your domain with Google blogspot you need to have two things ready

1. Your own domain should be ready with you
2. Your Google blogspot address should be available with you

There are many vendors from which you can buy a domain such as godaddy.com, names.com, net4.in etc.

I bought my domain from net4.in. The only thing I consider was price and availability. This was my mistake which I realized later. After buying the domain I was happy that I will map this domain with my blog site.

How to setup your own domain with Google blogspot?

The primary thing we have to do is to change the DNS settings for the property called CNAME. CNAME stand for Canonical name. This property in the Domain Name System tells that the domain is an alias of another site. What it means is if I setup the CNAME value of my domain to Google blog site; then all visitors visiting my own domain name will be actually visiting Google blog site. My own domain name will be just an alias of my Google blog site.

In case you want to map your domain with Google blogspot you need to set this value to ghs.google.com

Setting the CNAME property value depends on the domain registrar. This is pretty easy with godaddy or other domain name registrar but the same is not very clear with net4.in.

Setting the CNAME property with net4.in was the challenge. When I first login and check the user control panel, I do not find anything related with CNAME. I did some research on internet and I was shocked and sad that people who have attempted this before with net4.in have very negative feedback. I felt sorry that I bought it from net4.in and moreover I was cursing myself that I did not do a through research. I send an email to net4.in and they replied back in less then 4 hours. The instruction was quite simple. This was there reply:

This is in reference to your query; we would like to inform you that kindly follow the below mentioned steps for changing the Cname:

Logon to net4.in with the help of CRNID & password > My Dashboard > Click on the Domain> Go to DNS management>Go to Sub domain Create/Manage >Click on the Add new button > In the open window, there are two options, A record & CNAME entry > In the case of CNAME entry, select the CNAME option button and mention the alias name is first box like (mail, docs, sites & calendar as per Google) and mention the CNAME entry in the second box kindly put destination of the Cname [like google.com or ghs.google.com without dot[.] Click on Create now. For any further assistance do contact us, on 39891414 (from Landline), from Mobile phone dial city code as prefix.


So basically I needed to create a subdomain and set its CNAME property value to ghs.google.com as shown in below picture.


After setting the CNAME property; we need to set the A-Record values. The A-Record is a property in Domain Name System which point to IP address. I did some research which point me that the values should be setup as following IPs.


After setting the A-Record property I was all set that I am done with the setting part from Domain side. Well this is the first part of the story.

The second part is you need to tell your blogspot about this setting. For this you need to login into blogspot site and navigate to Dashboard || Settings || Publishing || Switch To Custom Domain || Write your own domain name --> Save Settings.

After completing the second part you probably need to wait for 24 to 48 hours to reflect the same. Once this is done anyone visiting your site will be redirected to your blog but his address bar in the browser will reflect your domain name and same will happen if any one visiting your blogspot site will see your domain in the address bar.

That is what I did to setup my domain I bought from net4.in to map with my google blogspot.

Thanks for reading this post.

Popular Posts

Real Time Web Analytics